[sylpheed:36969] Re : Re: Re : Yahoo since 20 of October 2020 and Sylpheed

Kévin kevin at mmn.on.ca
Sun Oct 4 21:41:42 JST 2020

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

Le dimanche 4 octobre 2020 à 14:18, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org> a écrit :

> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 12:12:15 +0200
>

> "Xavier B." somenxavier at posteo.net wrote:
>

> > You have to be aware tha free service (as in beer) does not exist.
>

> This turns out not to be the case.
>

> My outgoing mail uses a free (as in beer) relay service provided
>

> with no strings as a trial and advertisement for their paid high volume
>

> relay services (they hope that I will speak highly of them should anyone
>

> ask, or choose them should I need a high volume service, I hope they'll
>

> keep running the free service).
>

> For a long time now Hurricane Electric have provided free IPv6
>

> tunnels (along with a /64 and a /48 on request) and DNS services to anyone
>

> who asks - for similar reasons as far as I can tell.

These are kind of the exceptions to the rules, for your outbound SMTP it's beneficial to the company to add additional email traffic to boost up their reputation and get their filtering right.  One would assume they're scraping data in the process in the same way CloudFlare does to bolster it's paid offering.

For Hurricane Electric, they're very much old internet where they're a business, but they want to make the internet a better place and accessible to everybody.  You see this sort of thing from older ISPs, Community FreeNets, BBSes, and anybody still around from the good old days of internet past.

Unfortunately, with the new model of exploiting users and reap the ad bux, you have to be sceptical at the "free" model nowadays but that's not to say there aren't unicorns milling about out there.

-Kévin