[sylpheed:36912] Re: Gmail throttling?

Anton Shepelev anton.txt at gmail.com
Mon May 18 06:32:53 JST 2020

Aderoy to Anton Shepelev:

> > Does it mean that Sylpheed is trying to download most of me
> > e-mail again?
> ---- 8< ----
> I was thinking about gmail 'non-standard' version if IMAP, and
> have a question. Sylpheed will generate a imapcache for each
> account (I have 4 IMAP servers and one local archive mailstore)
> located in your home directory. Now if you change machines still
> connecting via IMAP the cache will not be up to date, so will it
> not download either the header or the full body when you check th
> gmail folder?

Good point, and I think Sylpheed must update the cache upon first
access to the IMAP folder. But I am sure it should be the headers
only, for downloading all the e-mails entire, with body and
attachements, would be an act without rhyme or reason. On the other
hand, throttling my IMAP connection for an attempt to download a
list of headers would be unjustified cruelty on behalf of Gmail, so
I asked the readers of the list about the effect of the command:

  22 UID FETCH 12966:39607 (UID FLAGS RFC822.SIZE RFC822.HEADER)

> I know when I connect to Fastmail via my desktop it
> will update in the lower left the number of unread/cached to
> total messages in the remote folder. Now with Google the All Mail
> folder contains all messages (uses search/tags instead of a
> folder structure) which would update the cache on the machine you
> are at. Run into this when using the portable thumbdrive so I try
> to connect once a week on a fast connection so to limit the time
> to rebuild/update the cache.

Good idea!

> Could this be a factor in your throttle issue?

Very likely, thanks.

/\  http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]