[sylpheed:36913] Re: Gmail throttling?

Javier sylfiger at gmx.com
Mon May 18 11:03:40 JST 2020

On Mon, 18 May 2020 00:32:53 +0300
Anton Shepelev <anton.txt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the other
> hand, throttling my IMAP connection for an attempt to download a
> list of headers would be unjustified cruelty on behalf of Gmail, so
> I asked the readers of the list about the effect of the command:
>
>   22 UID FETCH 12966:39607 (UID FLAGS RFC822.SIZE RFC822.HEADER)

Hi,

note that I'm not an expert on IMAP.

It is the range of mails by UID (Unique ID) that is requesting to the
server to download headers.

So, downloading headers for 27000 mails. But note that the numbers
don't need to be consecutive, so it doesn't mean that between the
first and the last there are 27000 mails. Can be less. Far less.
Depending on how many you deleted, moved to other folder, etc.

What I think you need to do with Gmail (as said earlier Gmail is not
a very standard IMAP server...), is just slow down the number of
FETCH requests. For this you'll need a bandwidth limiter applied to
Sylpheed. I don't know of a method to limit this on Sylpheed iself.

Regards.