[sylpheed:36911] Re: Gmail throttling?

aderoy at mnsi.net aderoy at mnsi.net
Sun May 17 23:04:25 JST 2020

On Fri, 15 May 2020 13:21:34 +0300
Anton Shepelev <anton.txt at gmail.com> wrote:

> News from the frontlines:
>
> The throttle seems now to have been put off my account, but when I
> enter my Inbox via my main working instance of Sylpheed, it hangs
> with the following in the Protocol log:
> >
> Does it mean that Sylpheed is trying to download most of me e-mail
> again?
---- 8< ----
 Anton,

I was thinking about gmail 'non-standard' version if IMAP, and have a
question. Sylpheed will generate a imapcache for each account (I have
4 IMAP servers and one local archive mailstore) located in your home
directory. Now if you change machines still connecting via IMAP the
cache will not be up to date, so will it not download either the
header or the full body when you check th gmail folder? I know when I
connect to Fastmail via my desktop it will update in the lower left
the number of unread/cached to total messages in the remote folder. Now
with Google the All Mail folder contains all messages (uses search/tags
instead of a folder structure) which would update the cache on the
machine you are at. Run into this when using the portable thumbdrive so
I try to connect once a week on a fast connection so to limit the time
to rebuild/update the cache.

Could this be a factor in your throttle issue?

Just thinking out loud.

--
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare. It is
because we do not dare that things are difficult. ~ Seneca