[sylpheed:36885] Re: Using Sylpheed with a raster font

Stefan Vorkoetter stefan at capable.ca
Fri Mar 27 21:59:48 JST 2020

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 15:04:54 +0300
Anton Shepelev <anton.txt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks great, does is not?

It does, although Terminus is not my preferred raster font. I have my own, developed by hand but based on Hack in 9x17 size, and another in 7x13 size.

> I did not have to do anything special on my Raspbian in
> addition to intalling the package `xfonts-terminus'.

Even when I do change fonts in Sylpheed, it only affects the message display. Things like the message list, menus, etc. use the system default font.

> Raspbian uses the LXDE desckop environment. May be you are
> using an inferrior desktop that does not support raster
> fonts and insists on blurry vector fonts?

No, I use LXDE on both Raspbian and Debian (Intel). However, I'm running Sylpheed on a Debian system, but opening it on a Windows system (using Cygwin's X server). Maybe that is the problem, although I have no trouble using the raster fonts in Xterm on the same setup.

> If so, consider
> these pixel-perfect reproductions of raster fonts in the TTF
> format:  https://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/  .

I've tried TTF raster fonts before, and they never work right if you don't pick _exactly_ the right size. They end up with some pixels being blurred.

Stefan

--
Stefan Vorkoetter
http://www.stefanv.com