[sylpheed:36693] Re: delay or extra cause for 'dead display update / no reaction' time

Javier sylfiger at gmx.com
Wed Mar 14 06:38:07 JST 2018

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 20:53:01 +0100
Mertens Maatwerk <rien at mertensmaatwerk.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 03:21:57 +0100
> Javier <sylfiger at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > In the log window, at least in Windows OS, the errors are displayed in red.
>

> I don't use Windows, but Ubuntu 16.04, but I see some parts that are red too:

Hi,

I know, I know, I was just telling that at least in Windows...

Should be the same under Linux but I have no way to know ;)

> start log part:
> **********************************
> [20:33:40] IMAP4> 110 NOOP
> ** LibSylph-WARNING: SSL_peek() returned error 5, ret = -1
>
> ** LibSylph-WARNING: [20:33:40] IMAP4 connection to imap.gmail.com has been disconnected. Reconnecting...
>
> ** IMAP4 connection to imap.gmail.com has been disconnected. Reconnecting...
> * creating IMAP4 connection to imap.gmail.com:993 ...
> [20:33:40] IMAP4< * OK Gimap ready for requests from -my address-
> **********************************
> end log part

> > > How and where can I do that? is there a timing option somewhere?
> >
> > (mine is in Spanish so forgive me if the text doesn't exactly match)
> >
> > Tools Menu > Common Settings/Preference > Details Tab > Advanced panel
> >
> > Try a value of 10 seconds. That would mean that instead minutes
> > stuck, in the worst cases, would mean just 20 seconds per account.
>

> I did find the place to change the SSL time-out and made it 8 seconds.

Have in mind that the timeout value in the settings are for sockets
timeouts. In other words, time to wait for the server to answer.

In this case you post, is not happening that. What happened is that
your system or Google closed the socket. So, when Sylpheed sent a
NOOP to keep the session alive, there wasn't any actual communication
established so the connection was reset and automatically reconnects
to recover it.

Is not as when it gets stuck, that there is a connection but the
server just doesn't reply.

> The error above was less than one second, so that should not make the difference in this case ;-)
>

> I can also tell this error was from the connection with Google imap not the new xs4all imap account
>

> I do not know yet if the new account with the xs4all server gives errors too.

So, do we understand that, this time, Sylpheed didn't get stuck?

Or in that session Sylpheed hang for a while again?

Regards.