[sylpheed:36292] Re: A performance problem (rant).

John Found johnfound at asm32.info
Sat Mar 21 22:51:46 JST 2015

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:40:01 -0500
Norm Reitzel <NormReitzel at swbell.net> wrote:

> I've got a fairly old ThinkCenter, Core 2 Duo, 2.7 GHz, and 1 TB WD green disk.

Core 2 Duo (with hyper threading) on 2.7GHz is probably much faster than my A4-1200 on 1GHz, but
hey, handling a list of e-mails is not a rocket science. It is fairly old technology. The e-mail
clients exists from decades, so even Pentium I should be enough handling them. No?

> I keep University mails, which by law I'm required to keep.  I have approximately 26K in the UTSA folder.  It takes me well under one second to open this folder.  I am running sylpheed 3.4.2 under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit.  I find that except for a very few numerically intensive programs, 32-bit everything is faster than 64 bit.
>
> Note that I do not use the sylpheed distro that is available under Ubuntu.  It is a) old, b) configured to have every option known to man and maybe more.  I build sylpheed from source, which takes me maybe 15 minutes when a new release comes out.  So far, I've not had any problems upgrading releases (Thank you, Hiroyuki)

Hm, should I try to compile Sylpheed from source? Is v3.4.1 (which I use) much slower than v3.4.2? Or there are some
tricks with the compiling options?

--
http://fresh.flatassembler.net
http://asm32.info