[sylpheed:36291] Re: A performance problem (rant).

Norm Reitzel NormReitzel at swbell.net
Sat Mar 21 22:40:01 JST 2015

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:00:51 +0000
Peter Withey <pete at pwithey.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:58:19 +0200
> John Found wrote:
> >
> > I have POP3 access to the mail server. The e-mails are stored locally.
> > The computer is not high end, but fairly fast:
>
> FWIW.
>
> POP3 here also.
> >
> > AMD A4-1200 2 CPU cores on 1GHz with 4GB RAM, HDD (not SSD)
> > 64bit Linux Mint OS
>
> Intel Core2 Duo 2.10 GHz, 3GB RAM, 64bit, Mint 17.1 but with SSD
> not HDD. Maximum folder size 9400 messages. Opening, threading
> and unthreading takes under a second.
> >
> > So, then maybe I have to change some settings in order to get more
> > performance. But what?
>
> Maybe, but I'm not aware of making any changes that may make that
> sort of difference. The only obvious difference appears to be the
> use of a SDD rather than a HDD.
>
> Anybody using a HHD get the slow performance that John does?

I've got a fairly old ThinkCenter, Core 2 Duo, 2.7 GHz, and 1 TB WD green disk.

I keep University mails, which by law I'm required to keep.  I have approximately 26K in the UTSA folder.  It takes me well under one second to open this folder.  I am running sylpheed 3.4.2 under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit.  I find that except for a very few numerically intensive programs, 32-bit everything is faster than 64 bit.

Note that I do not use the sylpheed distro that is available under Ubuntu.  It is a) old, b) configured to have every option known to man and maybe more.  I build sylpheed from source, which takes me maybe 15 minutes when a new release comes out.  So far, I've not had any problems upgrading releases (Thank you, Hiroyuki)

FWIW
--
   Norm Reitzel   例 勝