[sylpheed:36222] Re: Sync Gmail account with Sylpheed

Laurence Darby ldarby at tuffmail.com
Wed Nov 12 08:03:54 JST 2014

Florian Coste wrote:

<snipped>

> I ask you if this message can be trusted. There is a true lack of security
> if I use desktop mail client or it is just an attempt to fear me ?

I don't have a gmail account so I can't be certain, but I'd believe the
message from Google is trustworthy, as it sounds like something Google
would do (see http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.co.uk/ for other
examples).

However it's not very helpful, as it doesn't say what in particular
triggered it.  E.g. one possibility is you could have configured
Sylpheed to try to connect with authentication (as Javier mentioned)
but without encryption, which would leak your credentials over in the
Internet in plain text, and Google would be right to warn you about
that.

Regards,
Laurence