[sylpheed:36069] Re: (no subject)

cgw993 at aol.com cgw993 at aol.com
Thu Jun 5 04:05:02 JST 2014

My point was really to allow the user to decide if they want to see the
confirmation message or not.  For me the issue becomes should the user be
allowed to have as much control over the software as possible, or should
others decide for them.

Regarding your conclusions

Usefulness - I do not appreciate subject lines or find them useful. I am
sure others do and I have not problem with that.

Spam - Not much of an issue for me with or without subject lines

Malware - Not an issue for me unless I click a link or open an attached
file.  There may be another form of malware that I am not aware of though.

Courtesy - I don't consider them to be a courtesy but a waste of time and
possibly a breach of privacy.  I am sure others appreciate them though.  If
I am not mistaken, subject lines are not typically encrypted and are sent
plain text, even with PGP etc.  I have not confirmed that though, just that
I thought I read that somewhere.

Organization - I prefer to read the email and them manually move the email
to a folder rather than have this done automatically. I would never attempt
to automatically or even manually classify emails based only on the subject
line unless the emails were of no real importance. On the other hand I do
not receive 100+ emails per day as others I am sure do.

If I were to label others as "intelligent", "Old", "Not intelligent", or any
label at all, it would still have no bearing on whether the person I have
labeled has the right to set things the way they wish. If they wish to do
something a certain way, they should be allowed to do so if possible.  In
this case, turning off the confirmation message seems easily possible.

In summary - I find the confirmation box regarding the blank subject line to
be an annoyance and I wish there was a setting I could use the turn that
off.

Thanks