[sylpheed:36005] Fw: Mail Notification or Popup with brief display of "subject" - bump

stef stef_204 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 20:35:23 JST 2014

Reposting original question below this message.

I did install the newest 3.4.0beta7 but the feature has not changed from previous stable version--there is NO popup which can stay on top of your screen and display sunject of email (at least that I can see.)
There is a small "tooltip" type of notification which just shows number of new messages arrived and which email address, which disappears after 1 second or 2.

That's helpful but not what I'm looking for.

I am looking for a small windows which will let me see the subject of the email--so I can see an if item which just arrived is of interest or not.
Again, I receive non stop hundreds of email of inventory parts with description and prices.
Some I care about, some I don't.

If I see the notification that: part XYZ at $55 (in subject) has arrived in my email, I know to open that email ASAP and look for it.
Again, I get that with Opera (which I really do not want to use) but I cannot see a way to configure that in Sylpheed.

I do see some interesting config options in sylpheedrc like this:

[Common]
autochk_newmail=1
autochk_interval=10
check_on_startup=0
scan_all_after_inc=0
--> enable_newmsg_notify=1
--> newmsg_notify_command=aplay /home/UserName/Media/Sounds/sound528.wav
enable_newmsg_notify_sound=0
newmsg_notify_sound=
inc_local=0
filter_on_inc_local=1
spool_path=/var/mail
save_message=1

It does play the sounds file which is good; but trying to insert in the Execute Command field
notify-send "-i /usr/share/pixmaps/sylpheed.png "New Mail" -t 300000"
(or directly in the sylpheedrc file) does not produce anything....

Any feedback or help with this?

Is there a way to get the right tray notification icon and "tooltip" popup to a) display for a longer time period and b) display the subjects of emails received?

Thanks for patience and feedback.