[sylpheed:36006] Re: Fw: Mail Notification or Popup with brief display of "subject" - bump

Craig freecycle01 at pisquared.net
Tue Feb 18 00:40:32 JST 2014

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 03:35:23 -0800 (PST) stef <stef_204 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Reposting original question below this message.
>
> I did install the newest 3.4.0beta7 but the feature has not changed
> from previous stable version--there is NO popup which can stay on top
> of your screen and display sunject of email (at least that I can see.)
> There is a small "tooltip" type of notification which just shows number
> of new messages arrived and which email address, which disappears after
> 1 second or 2.
>
> That's helpful but not what I'm looking for.
> Is there a way to get the right tray notification icon and "tooltip"
> popup to a) display for a longer time period and b) display the
> subjects of emails received?

Mine does display the subjects of the emails. You are right, though, it
disappears after a second or two.

> Execute Command field notify-send "-i /usr/share/pixmaps/sylpheed.png
> "New Mail" -t 300000" (or directly in the sylpheedrc file) does not
> produce anything....

You can call a shell script from the execute command file. Once in the
shell script, you can do all sorts of things ...

I located, somewhere on the Internet, a shell script that someone wrote
called 3m that uses /usr/bin/wish to put up a small window with whatever
message you want. I have attached the script at the bottom.

For example, in response to the commands,

[craig ~]$ 3m "Emails received:
> email 1: Good morning, are you up?
> email 2: Today is Monday!
> email 3: part XYZ at $55" &

I produces the window in the attached screenshot.

Craig

#!/usr/bin/wish
#
# 3m    A short script to put yellow PostIt notes on the screen.
#
#                               Roy
#               - Created.
#       15 Sep 2001             Ben Okopnik
#               - modified.
#       04 Oct 2001             Craig
#               - clarified existing instructions, added instructions
#                 about clicking on titlebar and message.
#               - changed - option for appending to $HOME/.memo to -t
#                 since a number of programs use a single minus sign
#                 to indicate reading from standard input.
#               - modified style of revision comments.
#

if {[lindex $argv 0] == ""} {
    puts "\nUsage: 3m \[-t\] message to display &
    \n\t-t\tAppend timestamped message to '\$HOME/.memo'
    \nClick on title bar to move window. Click on message to close window.
\n" exit
}

if {[lindex $argv 0] == "-t"} {
   set argv [lrange $argv 1 end]
   exec date "+%x %H:%M $argv" >> $env(HOME)/.memo
}

button .b -textvariable argv -command exit
.b config -fg black -bg yellow -wraplength 6i -justify left
.b config -activebackground yellow
.b config -activeforeground black
pack .b