[sylpheed:35083] Re: HELP! I need to use IMAP!

John john at neodoc.biz
Fri Jan 20 09:50:36 JST 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:36:50 +0000
McCluskey, Craig W wrote:

> > On the Account preferences window, I now have an SSL tab between the
> > Compose and Proxy tabs. It gives me the choices of,
> >
> > - Don't use SSL
> > - Use SSL for IMAP4 connection
> > - Use STARTTLS command to start SSL session
> >
> > It also has a checkbox to "Use non-blocking SSL" at the bottom.
> >
> > So far, nothing has worked.
> >

> > Craig
>
> I did some more investigating. I used Wireshark to look at the packets
> my computer was sending and found that packets are output only
> immediately after setting up a new email account. In that case,
> information is logged into sylpheed.log:

> [17:19:45] * message: creating IMAP4 connection to
> mymail.lanl.gov:993 ... [17:19:59] * message: SSL certificate of
> mymail.lanl.gov previously accepted [17:19:59] IMAP4< * OK The Microsoft
> Exchange IMAP4 service is ready. [17:19:59] IMAP4> 1 CAPABILITY
> [17:19:59] IMAP4< * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 AUTH=NTLM AUTH=GSSAPI
> AUTH=PLAIN CHILDREN IDLE NAMESPACE LITERAL+ [17:19:59] IMAP4< 1 OK
> CAPABILITY completed. [17:19:59] IMAP4> 2 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
> [17:19:59] IMAP4< +
> [17:19:59] IMAP4> 3 LOGOUT
> [17:19:59] IMAP4< 2 NO AUTHENTICATE failed.
> [17:19:59] ** LibSylph-WARNING: [17:19:59] Could not establish IMAP
> connection.
>
> [17:19:59] ** warning: Could not establish IMAP connection.
>
> However, if I click the "Get Mail" button NO packets are sent and
> NOTHING is logged in the log file. In any event none of the 50+ emails
> Outlook Web App shows I have in Exchange's Inbox are downloaded.
>
> If I bring up the Account preferences and change settings and click "OK"
> and then click the "Get Mail" button NO packets are sent and NOTHING is
> logged in the log file.
>
> This seems wrong. Why isn't a login on the Exchange server attempted
> again?

First of all, I don't use IMAP, only POP3, however I do use ssl
authentication and have never had any problems with it.

Second, I don't use CentOS either so I'm not familiar with it's rpm
dependancies. That being said you're now seeing the ssl tab.

When you run the configure script do you see IMAP in the summary at the
end, there may be something else you're missing?

Also check that your credentials are correctly entered, typos are easy
made.

The other thing is that you're dealing with Exchange, which in my
experience, behaviour is version dependant. In theory the instructions
you have for Thunderbird should work.

My suggestion is to setup a second account using the t'bird instructions

John