[sylpheed:35084] Re: HELP! I need to use IMAP!

Craig freecycle01 at pisquared.net
Fri Jan 20 10:56:46 JST 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:50:36 +1300 John <john at neodoc.biz> wrote:

I'm home now. Sylpheed is so much nicer than OWA!

> First of all, I don't use IMAP, only POP3, however I do use ssl
> authentication and have never had any problems with it.
>
> Second, I don't use CentOS either so I'm not familiar with it's rpm
> dependancies. That being said you're now seeing the ssl tab.

There were a couple of extra RPMs downloaded for dependency when I added
the openssl development RPMs.

> When you run the configure script do you see IMAP in the summary at the
> end, there may be something else you're missing?

I did not think to look; I thought it would stop if there were problems.
I'll give it a try here at home and see.

> Also check that your credentials are correctly entered, typos are easy
> made.

I edited accountrc and checked; they're OK.

> The other thing is that you're dealing with Exchange, which in my
> experience, behaviour is version dependant. In theory the instructions
> you have for Thunderbird should work.

I thought that's what the theory should be. So far, though, I'm not able
to bring it into practicality.

> My suggestion is to setup a second account using the t'bird instructions

Actually what I do is delete the existing account, quit Sylpheed, and
restart Sylpheed. I then follow the setup new account prompts.

It's really strange, though, the only time Sylpheed tries to talk to the
Exchange server is immediately after setting up a new IMAP account....

Craig