[sylpheed:35021] Re: Request: Windows 7 Taskbar Extensions for Sylpheed

pn361529 at yahoo.com pn361529 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 03:59:27 JST 2012

> Bruce Bowler <bbowler at bigelow.org> wrote:
>
> You just don't seem to get it...
> I've said quite clearly that I don't want it.

That i get. But, just as "Ingo Strauch", i don't quite get why exactly
anyone would actually not want Windows 7 Taskbar Extensions.

> I've also said just make it optional...

If it could be made optional, why not, although, as stated above, don't
exactly know why. That's because your arguments, as already discussed
and explained in the previous posts, like for example "fill up other
parts of the task bar with un-necessary clutter" are not quite
reasonable.

Actually, i found an example where Windows 7 Taskbar Extensions seem to
be made available optionally with a plugin (third party though it
seems):

http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_w7shell

So if it could be done like that for Sylpheed also, why not. Maybe such
a plugin could then be offered (not forced) through the Sylpheed for
Windows installer or something like that (just as an example).

> Do you really want Hiro to spend time on "window dressing" or
> something
> of perhaps more importance like integrated spell checking on windows?

Did you actually read the OP which says:

"one could imagine that this would rather not be implemented for
Sylpheed (not meant negatively), but who knows, and it doesn't hurt
to ask ;)"

right at the beginning?

> Adding all of the window dressing will make it a little
> less "light" in my opinion (I recognize that your opinion is different
> than mine and accept that).

What "window dressing"? This thread is about Taskbar Extensions.

And, as i am not exactly sure how much resources some appropriate
Windows 7 Taskbar Extensions would eat up, if at all, when implemented
in Sylpheed, i can not really comment on your "light" thing.

But this information might be useful:

There doesn't seem to be much if any difference, at least in RAM usage,
between using and not using the plugin mentioned above:

http://wintense.com/plugins/foo_w7shell

when comparing it with the Task-Manager.

If it would eat up a lot of RAM or something like that, i could
understand where you are coming from of course. But it at least doesn't
seem to do that (at all). But again, not exactly sure about that in
general and how it would turn out for Sylpheed.