[sylpheed:34410] Re: Sylpheed 3.1rc released

Volker Ribbert thoraki at arcor.de
Thu Jan 27 18:29:26 JST 2011

Hello Cristian,

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:23:41 +0200
Cristian Secară <liste at secarica.ro> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:16:14 +0200, Cristian Secară wrote:
>
> An example, just to clarify: in English, "Send" is good both as command
> and as title. For me, it should be "Trimite" if it is a command (like in
> menu, or button label), but should be "Trimitere" if it is just a label
> (like a window title, or – in Sylpheed case – the tab name in
> Configuration -> Common Preferences -> the Send tab).

This is only partly true of the German translation, but in some cases it is. The term "layout" (which could remain untranslated, if need be) refers to two different, though related, ocurrences in the Sylpheed.po, which makes it a bit hard to find an appropriate word.

On the other hand, in many cases translating just means to find the best compromise - which I can only confirm from my experience in localizing software. In some cases, e.g. if a specific language doesn't allow both a command and label to use the same word - this might not be possible, admittedly.

Kind regards,

Volker