[sylpheed:34955] Re: How to get useful printouts from Sylpheed on Windows?

Gil Andre andre.g at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 16 06:16:32 JST 2011

Hi,

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 15:23:06 +0000 (GMT) pn361529 at yahoo.com wrote:
> Generally improvements seem to be possible.
>
> I guess that's what "Configuration" ---> "Common Preferences" --->
> "Details" ---> "External commands" ---> "Use external program for
> printing" basically is meant for ;).

Exactly.

> Actually you could easily try out "Use external program for printing"
> with the tool called "MailPrint" (see OP). It is very easy to set up
> and use (Readme with instructions included).
> But the layout/formatting this tool creates for the printout is not
> exactly what i personally am looking for and unfortunately it doesn't
> seem to be (at least not easily) possible to change the formatting. But
> maybe it works for you, if you are looking for improvements, don't
> know ;).
>
> Speaking of improvements, in the Muttprint FAQ there is an example of
> what printouts (can) look like when using Muttprint as an external
> program for printing:
> http://muttprint.sourceforge.net/pics/sampe.png
> http://muttprint.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml
>
> Also the Muttprint manual mentions a lot of options to change the
> formatting. Even something like:
>
> "Paper save mode
> It’s possible to print two pages on one page in landscape. This allows
> you to save paper and ink and increases the printing speed. This makes
> only with the paper format DIN A4 sense because two reduced pages fit
> exactly to one sheet."
>
> is mentioned there. And many more.
>
> But seems like Muttprint does not work with Windows, or does it?
> Something with the ease of use of "MailPrint" (see OP) together with
> the configurability of Muttprint would be great ;).
>
> But what about enscript? Is there no one here who could explain how to
> use that as an external program for printing with Sylpheed on Windows?

Actually, this is exactly what I was going to suggest: get
enscript for Windows: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/enscript.htm

I have used enscript to format my sylpheed email under Linux
for a very long time now, it generates clean, very nice and
readable postscript files.

Do check the following information from the sylpheed mailing
lists, you can probably adapt the information to your Windows
installation:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.sylpheed.general/4149

Hope this helps!

--
Gil ANDRE				   gil [at] panix [dot] com
				andre [dot] g [at] wanadoo [dot] fr