[sylpheed:34944] Re: How to configure the posting style (Top-posting or Bottom-posting) in Sylpheed?

pn361529 at yahoo.com pn361529 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 00:16:11 JST 2011

On Mon Dec 12 18:49
Antonio Ospite <ospite at studenti.unina.it> wrote:

> OK, was it a joke that you top-posted?
> If you did it on purpose, it was funny :).

More or less on purpose ;D (also because it was not a real reply).

> Just my opinion, which doesn't answer your question about whether the
> behavior is configurable, sorry.

No problem, thanks for your reply anyway ;).

> I never top-post but I don't really care about where the cursor is
> when the reply is open because I scroll the message anyway to reply
> _in-line_ item by item and to trim useless parts of the quoted
> message.

You have a point there. Thinking about it, it seems like in that
particular case (Interleaved-/Inline-posting) the default behaviour of
Sylpheed (placing cursor at the beginning/above the quote) would
actually make more sense than placing the cursor at the bottom of/below
the quote. But only if there is something to trim really. If not, then
it might get annoying again (for someone who does not use Top-posting).
If you know what i mean ;). Anyway, thanks for your suggestion ;).

You also have a point about what you state in your signature ;):

> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

I often use Top-posting though.
Reason:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Quoting_support_in_popular_mail_clients
If you know what i mean ;) (Briefly: bottom-posting in top-posting
saturated conversations seems as counterproductive as top-posting in
bottom-posting saturated conversations, and if most people use
top-posting...). But, again, not even saying one posting-style would be
better than another or anything like that, it's not the intention of
this thread ;).

So, actually, most of the time i personally am quite fine with what
Sylpheed defaults to (placing cursor above quote). But, as everbody
has their own taste and needs, which can also differ in some
situations, an option to configure that could probably be useful.

And, because most of the people here (including the developer of
Sylpheed himself it seems) do seem to use Bottom-posting /
Interleaved-/Inline-posting, i wanted to know if there is such an
option in Sylpheed (something like the %X symbol for example) and if
yes, where it is located ;). So i asked here, nothing more, nothing
less, just curious ;).