[sylpheed:34029] Re: Sylpheed Digest, Vol 46, Issue 4

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 7 09:16:58 JST 2010

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 22:21:51 +0300
v_2e at ukr.net wrote:

>   Hello everyone!
>
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 14:00:10 -0400
> Bruce Bowler <bbowler at bigelow.org> wrote:
>
> > I agree that it should be configurable.  I'm a "fair"
> > touch-typist.  My complaint about the "old diehard days" (I
> > consider my self an old diehard, who WILL absolutely use the new
> > feature) is that the tab behaviour was not "predictable" unless you
> > know all the contents of all your address books.
>   I'm absolutely agree with you. I touch-type with 10 fingers and
> touching "Tab" key is almost nothing for me, but one definitely has
> to know if there is the needed address  in the address book. And it is
> very inconvenient when I begin to type the address, press "Tab' and
> switch to the next field because there isn't such e-mail address in my
> address book. So I'm going to use auto-completion, of course, but I do
> also agree that there are lots of people who has already got used to
> the "Tab" key. We must respect all the users, and thus my opinion is
> to keep this feature optional. This is the most "universal" decision,
> I guess.

I'm wondering if we are talking about the same functioning here? Let's
say I type "Jo" or "Joh" for "John."  With tab a list of John's pops
up to choose from among, with cursor or mouse.  Wouldn't I also get the
same list with auto completion?  My understanding is, and correct me if
I'm wrong, it's unique names that will auto complete at some point, or
when one has typed enough to define uniqueness (e.g., part of John's
last name).  Of course, if that is not the one wanted, then the user
has to delete and reenter manually, and that's often not so clean a
process. The other feature that I associate with auto completion is
that anything one types goes into the address book automatically.
Doesn't something like that already exist as an option? In any case, I
wouldn't want it - what clutter!

Gene