[sylpheed:34034] Re: Sylpheed Digest, Vol 46, Issue 4

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Mon Jun 7 20:06:26 JST 2010

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 18:16:58 -0600
Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 22:21:51 +0300
> v_2e at ukr.net wrote:
>
> >   Hello everyone!
> >
> > On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 14:00:10 -0400
> > Bruce Bowler <bbowler at bigelow.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I agree that it should be configurable.  I'm a "fair"
> > > touch-typist.  My complaint about the "old diehard days" (I
> > > consider my self an old diehard, who WILL absolutely use the new
> > > feature) is that the tab behaviour was not "predictable" unless you
> > > know all the contents of all your address books.
> >   I'm absolutely agree with you. I touch-type with 10 fingers and
> > touching "Tab" key is almost nothing for me, but one definitely has
> > to know if there is the needed address  in the address book. And it is
> > very inconvenient when I begin to type the address, press "Tab' and
> > switch to the next field because there isn't such e-mail address in my
> > address book. So I'm going to use auto-completion, of course, but I do
> > also agree that there are lots of people who has already got used to
> > the "Tab" key. We must respect all the users, and thus my opinion is
> > to keep this feature optional. This is the most "universal" decision,
> > I guess.
>
> I'm wondering if we are talking about the same functioning here? Let's
> say I type "Jo" or "Joh" for "John."  With tab a list of John's pops
> up to choose from among, with cursor or mouse.  Wouldn't I also get the
> same list with auto completion?  My understanding is, and correct me if
> I'm wrong, it's unique names that will auto complete at some point, or
> when one has typed enough to define uniqueness (e.g., part of John's
> last name).  Of course, if that is not the one wanted, then the user
> has to delete and reenter manually, and that's often not so clean a
> process. The other feature that I associate with auto completion is
> that anything one types goes into the address book automatically.
> Doesn't something like that already exist as an option? In any case, I
> wouldn't want it - what clutter!

Well it sort of depends on how Hiro implemented it, doesn't it?

For the "tab behaving differently", let's consider the case where I
*think* I have John in my address book (but I don't).  I type "Jo<tab>"
and Jo (by itself) is left on the "to" line and the cursor is now on
the CC line.  Now that's a mess!

The way I envision the new method works (now let's suppose I *do* have
John in my address book and he's the only "jo" there".  When I type the
J, James and John show up, when I type the o, james disappears but
John is *NOT* automatically entered, but is the only entry in the list,
so tab (or "downarrow/enter" or something else) will fill in the rest.
If I type "a" (because I wanted to send to Joanne), there will be no
address available automatically.

That's what I envision, anyway...

Bruce