[sylpheed:34157] Re: SSL, GPG and dual monitor problems

Hiroyuki Yamamoto hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp
Tue Jul 27 14:19:24 JST 2010

Hello,

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:53:44 +0300 (EEST)
Kalitnikoff <kalitnikoff at privatdemail.net> wrote:

> 1. GPG: received message with attached file is encrypted and
> optionally signed. When popup window is appeared, type password for
> secret key and all is OK then. But if you click "Cancel" or just hit
> Escape button when popup window is appeared, sylpheed hangs up until
> you manually kill gpg.exe process. Encrypted messages without
> attached files has good reaction for canceling :) Don`t know if its
> imnportant, but key`s length is 4096.

This is known problem. I have added workaround before, but it seems not
to be sufficient.

> 2. SSL certificate. "Accept always" option doesn`t work properly, it
> works like "Accept temporarly" option with one little difference - if
> you hit Accept always, Sylpheed creates trust.crt file in profile
> folder with ssl cert of mail server. With the next program load
> Sylpheed ignores this file at all and offers again to accept cert
> temp. or permanently for one session. Adding this cert to the head or
> the tail of etc\ssl\certs\certs.crt, according to the readme file,
> doesn`t help, even when I deleted certs.crt nothing breaks (is it
> ignored at all too?). But interesting fact is that when I place
> trust.crt to ... {User}\Application Data\Sylpheed\ (%APPDATA%
> \Sylpheed) all became ok and working good, no more questions about
> cert acceptance.

I have been reported the similar problem several times, but I still
cannot reproduce the problem.
By default, trust.crt will be created under %APPDATA%\Sylpheed.
Do you specify another one for config folder?

> 3. I have two monitors. When maximized window minimizes to system tray
> and after a while I click on tray icon to restore window, it restores
> maximized on the bigger monitor, not on that where window was
> maximized the first time. If Sylpheed in windowed mode all is ok
> after restoring from minimized state.
>
> Two more suggestions.
> -When sending encrypted message and window with public keys is
> displayed, why not to display all of keys available, not only with
> proper e-mail? Or make an option to turn this "smart" display
> function off or on.
> -I think the Sylpheed`s popularity will grow up significantly if you
> implement proxy functionality in it. It will be good step to private
> mailing, especially for Tor users. I found the way to work it through
> the proxy, but my method is not convenient and definitely hard to
> reproduct for average user.

I'm planning to add SOCKS support in the future.

--
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp>