[sylpheed:34158] Re: SSL, GPG and dual monitor problems

Kalitnikoff kalitnikoff at privatdemail.net
Tue Jul 27 17:46:55 JST 2010

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:19:24 +0900
Hiroyuki Yamamoto <hiro-y at kcn.ne.jp> wrote:

> > 2. SSL certificate. "Accept always" option doesn`t work properly, it
> > works like "Accept temporarly" option with one little difference - if
> > you hit Accept always, Sylpheed creates trust.crt file in profile
> > folder with ssl cert of mail server. With the next program load
> > Sylpheed ignores this file at all and offers again to accept cert
> > temp. or permanently for one session. Adding this cert to the head or
> > the tail of etc\ssl\certs\certs.crt, according to the readme file,
> > doesn`t help, even when I deleted certs.crt nothing breaks (is it
> > ignored at all too?). But interesting fact is that when I place
> > trust.crt to ... {User}\Application Data\Sylpheed\ (%APPDATA%
> > \Sylpheed) all became ok and working good, no more questions about
> > cert acceptance.
>
> I have been reported the similar problem several times, but I still
> cannot reproduce the problem.
> By default, trust.crt will be created under %APPDATA%\Sylpheed.
> Do you specify another one for config folder?

Yes, my profile folder is in the program`s folder for portability. I
use configdir option in sylpheed.ini and command line option
--configdir on different machines, problem still occurs. And % APPDATA %
\Sylpheed contains nothing but trust.crt when all is working good.

IMHO the one and easy way to reproduce the problem is to make sylpheed
account with random login and password and mail.privatdemail.net:995 as
pop3 server in WinXP with configdir somewhere outside  % APPDATA %
\Sylpheed. You don`t need to register there or download mail, just
connect to server and grab cert and watch what happened after program`s
restart.

> > -I think the Sylpheed`s popularity will grow up significantly if you
> > implement proxy functionality in it. It will be good step to private
> > mailing, especially for Tor users. I found the way to work it through
> > the proxy, but my method is not convenient and definitely hard to
> > reproduct for average user.
>
> I'm planning to add SOCKS support in the future.

Great news!

Regards,
Greg