[sylpheed:33350] Re: [Dual Boot Win XP / Ubuntu 9.10] - Install Sylpheed 2.6.0

mr.somewhere mr.somewhere at yahoo.fr
Sun Nov 22 06:53:23 JST 2009

Hello

Basically I use symbolic links.

Here's how I got the thing done:

Let's say that on **  Windows XP **, I installed Sylpheed from the zip
file in C:\Program Files\Sylpheed and I chose to have my mail boxes and
configuration files stored in D:\MesMails (meaning I created a link
target  "C: \Program Files\Sylpheed\sylpheed.exe" --configdir "D:
\MesMails" that I use to launch Sylpheed).

Assuming everything is OK now, it's a good idea to backup both folders
before doing anything more.

Now we're using Ubuntu and have RW access to the NTFS partitions:

With **  Ubuntu **, (if you install from synaptics) the Sylpheed
configuration files will be in your Home directory in the .sylpheed-2.0
directory and the MH mail boxes are in the Home directory.

Firts time I open Sylpheed, I don't configure anything but I create as
many MH Mail boxes as I use in Windows with the same names. Then I
close Sylpheed.

Now I create symbolic links replacing each of the folders that have
been created for the mail boxes: ln -s target link_name.
target = the MH mail box in Windows XP (that can be seen under D:
\MesMails\Mailboxes in my case),
link_name = name of the same mail box.

The I copy all the files and folders that are in D:\MesMails ** except
D:\MesMails\Mailboxes ** in .sylpheed-2.0.

The key thing to do to avoid having duplicates is to replace the "uidl"
folder in .sylpheed-2.0 by a symbolic link to the "uidl" folder in D:
\MesMails.

More symbolic links could be used for accounts, address book, filter...
settings but I'm OK with that and didn't test further.

If everything worked fine, by now your Sylpheed on Ubuntu and on
Windows should be identical. But there are a few settings that you
might have to change in Ubuntu Sylpheed: the spam settings, which
browser or text editor to use...

Regards.