[sylpheed:32896] Re: How to merge two sylpheed mail archives

Per Danielsson pd at sics.se
Fri Mar 13 20:02:21 JST 2009

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:28:13 +0100
palama at inwind.it wrote:

> I am moving from one linux box to another and I have part of my mail
> archive on one box and part on the other. How can I merge the two
> archives? I know that it is possible to move mail from one folder to
> another by manually copying the message files, but I'm afraid that
> messages with identical file names may conflict or be deleted in the
> process.

If you use Sylpheed to move messages from one IMAP-folder to another
there will be no conflict. IMAP will give the moved messages new
sequence numbers in the destination folder. This will work for local
Sylpheed-folders as well.

If you move them outside Sylpheed (i.e. use regular file system
commands) you will have to make sure that there are no conflicts (or
write a scripts that does that).

Cheers,
PD
Per Danielsson                          pd at sics.se
Swedish Institute of Computer Science
Uppsala Science Park, SE-751 83 Uppsala, SWEDEN
N59.50.60, E17.38.56                    "Why not? Yeah."
"Qu'on me donne six lignes écrites de la main du plus honnête homme,
 j'y trouverai de quoi le faire pendre." - R