[sylpheed:33456] Re: Automatic address-completion using Adress book.

Celejar celejar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 09:40:21 JST 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 02:26:42 +0200
v_2e at ukr.net wrote:

>   Hello everyone!
>   I would like to know if there is such a feature in Sylpheed - to offer the appropriate "endings" for typed "beginning" when typing an address (or a name of destination person) in the "To" field.
>
>   For example, if I have such names in my Address Book:
> Vasily Ivanov <vasily at ivanov.mail>
> Ivan Vasilief <ivan at vasilief.mail>
> Petr <petr at vasilief.mail>
>
> and I want to write a letter to one of them, I'll begin typing with
> "Vas", will Sylpheed show some kind of a little pop-up window with matching records from my address book and let me fast-choose one of them?

Yes - type the letters and then hit <tab>.

>   This is a very useful feature and gives real advantages.

It certainly is useful, but I think that as currently implemented it
could use some improvement:

* If no match is found, then the cursor moves to the next field.  It
would seem to make more sense to leave it where it is to allow the user
to manually enter an address

* Sylph seems to only match against the first characters of the
"Display Name", so if I've stored someone as "Mr. John Smith", I can
only autocomplete by typing "Mr ...", not the somewhat more logical
"Joh ...", which is especially frustrating when I don't remember
whether I've stored a name using some prefix or not

* Related to above, unlike on my Palm Centro where autocomplete works
by the first letter of the first name and then by the letters of the
last name, Sylph seems to only use the first letters of the display
name.  So if I have "John Smith", "John Doe" and "John King", I either
have to type six letters, or I have to look at the drop down list and
then select, either using the mouse or keyboard.  It would seem to be
much more convenient to be able to type "JDo", and so on

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, and I may be mistaken here.
Additionally, I have stated my preferences above; others may have
different preferences.

Celejar