[sylpheed:33457] Re: Automatic address-completion using Adress book.

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Tue Dec 29 18:17:22 JST 2009

Hi,

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 19:40:21 -0500
Celejar <celejar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 02:26:42 +0200
> v_2e at ukr.net wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone!
> > I would like to know if there is such a feature in Sylpheed - to
> > offer the appropriate "endings" for typed "beginning" when typing an
> > address (or a name of destination person) in the "To" field.
> >
> > For example, if I have such names in my Address Book:
> >   Vasily Ivanov <vasily at ivanov.mail>
> >   Ivan Vasilief <ivan at vasilief.mail>
> >   Petr <petr at vasilief.mail>
> >
> > and I want to write a letter to one of them, I'll begin typing with
> > "Vas", will Sylpheed show some kind of a little pop-up window with
> > matching records from my address book and let me fast-choose one of
> > them?
>
> Yes - type the letters and then hit <tab>.
>
> > This is a very useful feature and gives real advantages.
>
> It certainly is useful, but I think that as currently implemented it
> could use some improvement:
>
> * If no match is found, then the cursor moves to the next field.  It
> would seem to make more sense to leave it where it is to allow the user
> to manually enter an address

The problem is, you don't know what the user wants... It depends, in
case he already entered a complete address moving to next field is the
logical behaviour I would say.

But I too find it annoying that Sylpheed moves the cursor to the next
field in case I entered only a partial address and nothing was found.

So my suggestion would be to move to the next field if the address field
ends with a formally correct and complete email address. Otherwise show
the drop down address selection list. If nothing is found the list
should contain the search string only, which at the moment is already
part of the list if addresses are found.

> * Sylph seems to only match against the first characters of the
> "Display Name", so if I've stored someone as "Mr. John Smith", I can
> only autocomplete by typing "Mr ...", not the somewhat more logical
> "Joh ...", which is especially frustrating when I don't remember
> whether I've stored a name using some prefix or not
>
> * Related to above, unlike on my Palm Centro where autocomplete works
> by the first letter of the first name and then by the letters of the
> last name, Sylph seems to only use the first letters of the display
> name.  So if I have "John Smith", "John Doe" and "John King", I either
> have to type six letters, or I have to look at the drop down list and
> then select, either using the mouse or keyboard.  It would seem to be
> much more convenient to be able to type "JDo", and so on

Yes, at least it would be nice if it would be possible to select by
the different name parts independent from the sequence within display
name. E.G. 'John' should find 'John Smith', 'Miller, John' and 'Mr.
John Baker'.

It would also be nice if a group (distribution list) would be found.

And, last not least, I would really appreciate if Sylpheed would also
search the LDAP servers. I maintain my address data centrally within
LDAP and at the moment the address search is completely useless for me.
Unless I export the address data to all clients every time an email
adress is changed, added or deleted...

Manfred

--
Manfred Usselmann