[sylpheed:33149] Re: Two requests

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at peoplepc.com
Sat Aug 29 12:55:06 JST 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:12:38 -0600
Bob White <bob at bob-white.com> wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> Your line lengths seem to be OK now that you have changed your
> preferences.  Previously a paragraph was one line.
>
> If you really want to read the last bolded message, the simplest way
> would be to sort in reverse chronological order so that the latest
> message was on top.  I'm not sure, but I suspect you really want to
> read the first message you haven't read in chronological order.  I
> have one question though.  Why do you want to mark a message you've
> read as unread?  I'm just curious as to what value you get from it,
> not criticizing the desire to do so.  (I want to learn something.)
>
> Regarding Peter Kovar's suggestion to set "mark messages as read only
> when they are opened in a new window actually does part of what you
> want in that you can still click on a message, read it, and the unread
> bit is not changed.  The message is only marked as read (unbolded) if
> you double click on the message so that it is opened in a new window.

Good about the line length.  I'm guessing it had to do with the quoted
material option, since the other is about input.

Marking a message unread serves to 1) let me know I've seen it and want
to see it again, which could be for any number reasons; and 2) reminds
me that a folder has something I want to recall is there.  We all have
our memories, mnemonics and ways of organizing...

I really don't understand what "new window" refers to in this
context, since Sylpheed's focus is the issue.  If I click on a message,
it shows in the bottom right pane and in the list goes unbolded (if it
was). I only open new windows for replies and drafts.

It's interesting to me that something so ordinary as what I've
suggested, and is implemented in Claws, has drawn perplexed responses.
It's as if in the absence of its implementation, some users have
developed workarounds and forgotten why they had to develop them in the
first place.

Gene