[sylpheed:33140] Re: Two requests

Bruce Bowler bbowler at bigelow.org
Sat Aug 29 03:38:10 JST 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:18:10 -0600
Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at peoplepc.com> put fingers to keyboard and said:

> > > Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't make a difference.  I did
> > > leave "open Inbox on startup" checked, since that's where I like to
> > > start.
> > >
> > > So, are you saying that when you start Sylpheed or run Get All, it
> > > doesn't focus on the top bolded message in the list, e.g., in the
> > > Inbox?  Could the order of sorting be involved?  Mine is chronological
> > > by date, latest at the bottom.
> >
> > I assume by "bolded"  that you refer to the first unread message?
> >
> > In my case if I open Sylpheed it defaults to the "Mailbox (MH)", I then
> > select the folder by means of the red coloured folder name which indicates
> > new mail. The prompt then goes to the first unread message either new or
> > previously read. To get around the situation where I have a number of
> > messages marked as unread I use the dropmenu adjacent the 'search' field
> > above the message pane to select "Last 5 days".
> >
> > Also could you set your line length to about 72 characters for the
> > list? :-)
>
> By "bolded," I mean either unread or read but marked as unread. I don't use
> (or like) colors.
>
> Your helpful reply speaks to the issue I'm raising. Leaving aside the fact
> that you choose to select a folder manually, the prompt (focus) goes to the
> first unread/marked unread (bolded) message in the list.  Is that really
> necessary from a programming standpoint?  If not, why can't it go to the
> most recent truly unread message (new)?  Or, if that can't be done and the
> first bolded message has to be the focus, why can't it leave that message
> in its bolded state, since the user marked it and thus presumably wants to
> leave it that way?  From the user standpoint, the current set up is
> inefficient, i.e., constantly requiring the user to re-bold and scroll or,
> like you, take the extra step of using the n-day filter.  However, the
> latter begs the issue, since it's not a matter of how many days of emails
> can be seen, but where the focus goes and how it works.

A question...  How are you making the message "bold", by "mark as unread"?
I'm on 2.7 on linux, so don't know if windows has this option, but in "Common
preferences >> details >> interface", there's a checkbox called "remember
last selected message".  I've never used it and haven't tried it, but from
the name, it sounds like that might be *part* of the solution to your problem.

> I'm puzzled about line length, because mine is set to 72.  Is there
> something else that needs checking or setting?  Thanks,

I don't think so, I had thought there was a "wrap on send" option, but I
don't see it in any of the dialogs.  Do you have "wrap on input" checked?