[sylpheed:33139] Re: Two requests

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at peoplepc.com
Sat Aug 29 03:18:10 JST 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 05:15:20 +1200
John Rye <jrt746 at clear.net.nz> wrote:

> > Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't make a difference.  I did leave "open
> > Inbox on startup" checked, since that's where I like to start.
> >
> > So, are you saying that when you start Sylpheed or run Get All, it doesn't
> > focus on the top bolded message in the list, e.g., in the Inbox?  Could
> > the order of sorting be involved?  Mine is chronological by date, latest
> > at the bottom.
>
> I assume by "bolded"  that you refer to the first unread message?
>
> In my case if I open Sylpheed it defaults to the "Mailbox (MH)", I then
> select the folder by means of the red coloured folder name which indicates
> new mail. The prompt then goes to the first unread message either new or
> previously read. To get around the situation where I have a number of
> messages marked as unread I use the dropmenu adjacent the 'search' field
> above the message pane to select "Last 5 days".
>
> Also could you set your line length to about 72 characters for the
> list? :-)

By "bolded," I mean either unread or read but marked as unread. I don't use (or like) colors.

Your helpful reply speaks to the issue I'm raising. Leaving aside the fact that you choose to select a folder manually, the prompt (focus) goes to the first unread/marked unread (bolded) message in the list.  Is that really necessary from a programming standpoint?  If not, why can't it go to the most recent truly unread message (new)?  Or, if that can't be done and the first bolded message has to be the focus, why can't it leave that message in its bolded state, since the user marked it and thus presumably wants to leave it that way?  From the user standpoint, the current set up is inefficient, i.e., constantly requiring the user to re-bold and scroll or, like you, take the extra step of using the n-day filter.  However, the latter begs the issue, since it's not a matter of how many days of emails can be seen, but where the focus goes and how it works.

I'm puzzled about line length, because mine is set to 72.  Is there something else that needs checking or setting?  Thanks,

Gene