[sylpheed:33141] Re: Two requests

John Rye jrt746 at clear.net.nz
Sat Aug 29 03:43:25 JST 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:18:10 -0600
Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

> > > Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't make a difference.  I did leave "open
> > > Inbox on startup" checked, since that's where I like to start.
> > >
> > > So, are you saying that when you start Sylpheed or run Get All, it doesn't
> > > focus on the top bolded message in the list, e.g., in the Inbox?  Could
> > > the order of sorting be involved?  Mine is chronological by date, latest
> > > at the bottom.
> >
> > I assume by "bolded"  that you refer to the first unread message?
> >
> > In my case if I open Sylpheed it defaults to the "Mailbox (MH)", I then
> > select the folder by means of the red coloured folder name which indicates
> > new mail. The prompt then goes to the first unread message either new or
> > previously read. To get around the situation where I have a number of
> > messages marked as unread I use the dropmenu adjacent the 'search' field
> > above the message pane to select "Last 5 days".
> >
> > Also could you set your line length to about 72 characters for the
> > list? :-)
>
> By "bolded," I mean either unread or read but marked as unread. I don't use (or like) colors.
>
> Your helpful reply speaks to the issue I'm raising. Leaving aside the fact that
> you choose to select a folder manually, the prompt (focus) goes to the
> first unread/marked unread (bolded) message in the list.  Is that really
> necessary from a programming standpoint?

I'm not sure it's necessary, but to me it makes sense :-)

> If not, why can't it go to the most recent truly unread message (new)?

That is a programming issue which is not currently available. It would
involve even more sorting by date and I'm not convinced that there would
be a great demand ..

> Or, if that can't be done and the first bolded message has to be the focus,
> why can't it leave that message in its bolded state, since the user marked it
> and thus presumably wants to leave it that way?

It does if you tell it not to open the first unread message when you enter
the folder

> From the user standpoint, the current set up is inefficient, i.e., constantly
> requiring the user to re-bold and scroll or, like you, take the extra step of
> using the n-day filter.  However, the latter begs the issue, since it's not a
> matter of how many days of emails can be seen, but where the focus goes
> and how it works.

I don't see the current behaviour as inefficient at all it seems to me to
be quite sensible. Aside that, can you point me to any MUA's which behave
as you describe?

> I'm puzzled about line length, because mine is set to 72.  Is there something
> else that needs checking or setting?  Thanks,

Yep, Compose dialogue, Edit menu -> 'Auto wrapping' and 'wrap all lines'
options which you can set global in Common preferences :-)

John NZ