[sylpheed:33118] My personal view about the future of Sylpheed.

Antonio Ospite ospite at studenti.unina.it
Tue Aug 18 19:57:12 JST 2009

Hi Hiroyuki-san,
hi sylpheed users,

I am just a long-time (and mostly happy) Sylpheed user, and I would
like to start a discussion about the future of our favourite Mail
User Agent out there.

The question is: how do I imagine Sylpheed 2.8?
Forgive the selfish post, it's just to start up some discussion.

Here's my vision:
 - Fix known bugs of course, for instance, the ones I am interested in
   are:
   http://www.sraoss.jp/pipermail/sylpheed/2009-June/002970.html
   http://www.sraoss.jp/pipermail/sylpheed/2009-July/003012.html

 - Composer overhaul: the message editor is the part I personally like
   less in Sylpheed: undo doesn't always work right, no colors during
   editing, no autoindent features. I know that an external editor can
   be invoked at any time, and I usually do that when I write complex
   emails with lists or simple ASCII pictures, but a more powerful
   editor could not be that hard to put in if we base it on
   GtkSourceView[1]. Do you have any opinion about that?

 - Store message-editing settings (autowrapping, spell language) for
   messages saved in Drafts, see:
   http://www.sraoss.jp/pipermail/sylpheed/2009-January/002788.html

- Mail filtering rules could be grouped, so we can change filter
  processing order more easily, let's say I want to have a "Mailing
  lists" filters group processed BEFORE the "Personal mails" filters
  group, that's how I basically filter mails, but maybe you can
  suggest that this is not a good idea, I am curios about how you use
  the filter functionality.

- The horizontal ruler in Composer should really show the column the
  cursor is currently at. And maybe it could be based on Cairo?

Except for the Composer change, which alone could justify a major
version number bump, you can see all the others are small improvements,
and fixes, let's keep Sylpheed simple :)

If there is some interest in the points above I can start a thread for
each of these points, so discussion will be more focused.

I plan to help with some of these, but the bad note is that I don't know
Gtk+ very well, so most of these changes are out of my current
skill-set but I could learn if someone offers collaboration.

With Best Regards,
   Antonio Ospite

[1] http://projects.gnome.org/gtksourceview/

--