[sylpheed:32794] Re: Language in menus

Cristian Secară orice at secarica.ro
Fri Dec 19 22:11:42 JST 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:53:37 +0100, Per Danielsson wrote:

> I was wrong. Apparently Sylpheed does *not* choose the language
> according to the system locale. It chooses the language based on the
> Format setting ("the way your computer displays numbers, currencies,
> dates and time").
>
> This is, in my opinion, a bug. The point of having a locale *and* a
> setting for the date, time and currency format is that you may want to
> use a format different from the format associated with a specified
> language.

This bug exists in most (all ?) GTK+ applications ported on Windows.

Perhaps it may be useful for the language settings of an application to
follow this setting
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/win2k/setup/changeUI.mspx

However, I remember I read somewhere that Microsoft does not recommend
this for general applications (but only for the OS itself), inspite of
the fact that MS applications like Windows Media Player or Microsoft
Office (with MUI installed) *does* follow that setting.

That being said, a better approach should be the VLC (as example)
approach, i.e. Automatic, English, French, etc..
„Automatic” works the same as today in Sylpheed.

Cristi