[sylpheed:32265] Re: Help Compiling Sylpheed-2.4.8 on Debian Etch

Ricardo Mones ricardo.mones at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 23:05:49 JST 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Thomas White <taw27 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:57:36 -0400
>  Andrew Grieser <agrieser at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > When I run: ./configure, I am unable to enable ssl or gpg support,
>  > even though I have both openssl and gpg installed. The output I
>  > receive is:
>
>  This could be a silly question, but just to check:  Did you also
>  install libssl-dev, libgpgme11-dev etc?  You need the -dev variants of
>  the library packages when compiling something from source using them.
>
>  The outputs from configure scripts are always a little misleading about
>  what actually needs to be installed:  When it says "OpenSSL", it
>  really means "libssl-dev", and so on.

You don't need to figure out these in Debian: they're all written in
the Build-Depends line of the debian/control file when you get the
source package.

To the OP, there's several other methods, but basically:

You need a build environment to build some package:

$ apt-get install build-essential devscripts fakeroot

You need the source package too (the unstable version can do the job,
you may try other):

$ dget -x http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sylpheed/sylpheed_2.5.0~beta3-1.dsc

Now you need the libraries to build the package, look at the
Build-Depends: line in the sylpheed-2.5.0~beta3/debian/control file
and install them:

$ apt-get install libcompfaceg1-dev libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev
libpng12-dev libgpgme11-dev libssl-dev libpisock-dev flex bison
libreadline5-dev cdbs libgtkspell-dev libonig-dev

Now you only need to build the package:

$ cd sylpheed-2.5.0~beta3
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc

After some building debs will be created in the parent directory of
sylpheed-2.5.0~beta3.

HTH,
--
Ricardo Mones.