[sylpheed:32269] Re: Help Compiling Sylpheed-2.4.8 on Debian Etch

Andrew Grieser agrieser at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 09:04:40 JST 2008

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:05:49 +0200
"Ricardo Mones" <ricardo.mones at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Thomas White <taw27 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:57:36 -0400
> >  Andrew Grieser <agrieser at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  > When I run: ./configure, I am unable to enable ssl or gpg support,
> >  > even though I have both openssl and gpg installed. The output I
> >  > receive is:
> >
> >  This could be a silly question, but just to check:  Did you also
> >  install libssl-dev, libgpgme11-dev etc?  You need the -dev variants of
> >  the library packages when compiling something from source using them.
> >
> >  The outputs from configure scripts are always a little misleading about
> >  what actually needs to be installed:  When it says "OpenSSL", it
> >  really means "libssl-dev", and so on.
>
> You don't need to figure out these in Debian: they're all written in
> the Build-Depends line of the debian/control file when you get the
> source package.
>
> To the OP, there's several other methods, but basically:
>
> You need a build environment to build some package:
>
> $ apt-get install build-essential devscripts fakeroot
>
> You need the source package too (the unstable version can do the job,
> you may try other):
>
> $ dget -x http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sylpheed/sylpheed_2.5.0~beta3-1.dsc
>
> Now you need the libraries to build the package, look at the
> Build-Depends: line in the sylpheed-2.5.0~beta3/debian/control file
> and install them:
>
> $ apt-get install libcompfaceg1-dev libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev
> libpng12-dev libgpgme11-dev libssl-dev libpisock-dev flex bison
> libreadline5-dev cdbs libgtkspell-dev libonig-dev
>
> Now you only need to build the package:
>
> $ cd sylpheed-2.5.0~beta3
> $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
>
> After some building debs will be created in the parent directory of
> sylpheed-2.5.0~beta3.
>
> HTH,
> --
> Ricardo Mones.
> ~
> Never send a human to do a machine's job. -- Agent Smith

Thanks for the list of packages I needed, I was missing quite a few of them. If you hadn't guessed, I'm kind of new to the whole compiling from source thing, but I want to learn.

Unfortunately, even after installing all of those packages I am still receiving errors when I try to compile.

Quick recap of what I did:
apt-get source -t testing sylpheed
apt-get install build-essential devscripts fakeroot...and then all the other entries in the control file

I cd'd into the sylpheed-2.5.0~beta1 folder, and ran
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc

It ran through the configuration script, and it successfully picked up all the compile in features (gpg, ssl, etc). It still gives the error that I posted in the original email, with the files ignoring "--datarootdir setting".

However, it built...sort of. After about 2 minutes of compiling, it errored out with the following:

quick_search.o: In function `quick_search_clear_entry':
/home/agrieser/multimedia/downloads/deb_2_sylpheed/sylpheed-2.5.0~beta1/build-tree/sylpheed-2.5.0beta1/src/quick_search.c:164: undefined reference to `GTK_ENTRY'
quick_search.o: In function `entry_changed':
/home/agrieser/multimedia/downloads/deb_2_sylpheed/sylpheed-2.5.0~beta1/build-tree/sylpheed-2.5.0beta1/src/quick_search.c:265: undefined reference to `GTK_ENTRY'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [sylpheed] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/agrieser/multimedia/downloads/deb_2_sylpheed/sylpheed-2.5.0~beta1/build-tree/sylpheed-2.5.0beta1/src'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/agrieser/multimedia/downloads/deb_2_sylpheed/sylpheed-2.5.0~beta1/build-tree/sylpheed-2.5.0beta1/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/agrieser/multimedia/downloads/deb_2_sylpheed/sylpheed-2.5.0~beta1/build-tree/sylpheed-2.5.0beta1'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/agrieser/multimedia/downloads/deb_2_sylpheed/sylpheed-2.5.0~beta1/build-tree/sylpheed-2.5.0beta1'
make: *** [debian/stamp-makefile-build] Error 2

It also failed to build using the source from the sylpheed page using ./configure && make && checkinstall -D. I must be missing something obvious, but I'm not sure what.