[sylpheed:32250] Gutsy > Hardy upgrade deleted Sylpheed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Apr 27 12:10:08 JST 2008

I have a laptop (my main computer) which uses Sylpheed version 2.4.5 GTK
+ 2.12.0 / GLib 2.14.1. It works just fine.

I also have a desktop computer which I use for storage of backups from
the laptop, and as a second computer in case something bad happens to
the laptop (at least I can still get online to find out what went
wrong). The desktop runs Sylpheed Claws, but I can't tell you what
version because it is gone. More details follow.

This morning I decided to upgrade to Hardy. I started with the desktop.
During the upgrade it uninstalled Sylpheed Claws, claiming that it was
obsolete software. I tried to reinstall from Synaptic but Synaptic
refused, stating that Sylpheed Claws (GTK) had unresolved dependencies.

There's not much in the mail folders on the desktop because I set
Sylpheed Claws there to leave messages on the server - the laptop is
what I really use for e-mail, so that is where I want e-mails archived.
In other words, the mail folders are expendable. Accordingly, I decided
to try to install straight Sylpheed, which is also listed in Synaptic.
That installation went fine, but it did not pick up the configurations,
so all my mail accounts are gone. I could recreate them manually, but
before I go to the trouble I thought I'd ask here what is going on. Why
would a dist-upgrade delete Sylpheed Claws? What is wrong with the
dependencies that keeps me from reinstalling it? And, assuming I cannot
reinstall the original, how can I get my configuration back in the
straight Sylpheed that I installed, without having to recreate my mail
accounts?