[sylpheed:31658] Re: Characters in mail not correctly displayed

Cristian Secară orice at secarica.ro
Sat Sep 1 04:50:11 JST 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:33:30 +0100, David Depardoux wrote:

> If I go to the tab "Attachements", select the attached mail and click
> "Display as text", the € is displayed correctly here, too.

True, but I don't know why.

> But if I save the attached mail to a file, move this file to
> #mh/test/inbox, update the summary so that it appears in the inbox
> #and select it from the inbox, then the € is not correctly displayed.

Of course, because your default encoding is *not* Windows ANSI CP1252.

As I said, some characters are badly encoded. See the attachment: the €
sign is 80 hex, i.e. the Euro in Windows 8 bit representation, whereas
the actual message encoding declaration is ISO.

In 8 bit domain, the € can be displayed properly if the encoding is
ISO8859-15 or -16 and the character code itself is A4 hex (which is not
the case here).
Or better forget all the 8 bit and use Unicode (UTF-8 for instance).
Not you, the original sender I mean.

Cristi