[sylpheed:31850] Re: Moving mail to new machine

John Rye jrt746 at clear.net.nz
Sun Oct 21 16:34:35 JST 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 00:16:02 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 18:54:25 +1300
> John Rye <jrt746 at clear.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > > I have created a new installation of Ubuntu Gutsy amd64 and have
> > > installed Sylpheed 2.4.5. I copied the ~/Mailboxes folder, as well
> > > as .claw and .sylpheed-2.-0. It all appears fine, except when I try
> > > to get new messages it logs into the server, finds the number of new
> > > messages, then pops up an error message "Can't write file."
>
> > I have to deal with this quite often. I suggest you run the following
> > as ROOT and from your HOME directory.
> >
> > ------------ Cut here -----------
> >
> > cd /home
> > for U in * ; do echo $U ; chown -R $U:$U $U ; done
> >
> > ------------ Cut here -----------
> >
> > I have this little routine stored as 'fixusers'
> > in /usr/local/bin/fixusers
> >
> > I've used the ideas expressed elsewhere is this thread too and found
> > that some files still haven't been changed so causing the same problem
> > you're seeing where I still could not access certain files.
> >
> > The wee script above deals effectively with ALL files hidden or
> > otherwise.
>
> Thanks. It didn't work. I got "bash: syntax error near unexpected token
> 'chown'."

How did you get the command from the email to your terminal? By typing
it?

You should copy and paste it (2nd line only if you where already
in /home) into a root terminal or copy and paste both lines into a file
which you then make executable. Be careful here too, if the location of
the newly created executable is NOT in roots' path then you will need
to use the form' /wherethefileis/filename'

That syntax error indicates to me that you could have typed a colon
( : ) rather than a a semicolon ( ; ) - some fonts could make the
difference hard to see :-)

> I think the problem is that you thought I would substitute something
> for the *. I didn't. That's because I didn't know what to put in there.

No substitutions needed :-) the * means 'all' as I commented in my
first mail

John