[sylpheed:31849] Re: Moving mail to new machine

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Oct 21 16:16:02 JST 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 18:54:25 +1300
John Rye <jrt746 at clear.net.nz> wrote:

> > I have created a new installation of Ubuntu Gutsy amd64 and have
> > installed Sylpheed 2.4.5. I copied the ~/Mailboxes folder, as well
> > as .claw and .sylpheed-2.-0. It all appears fine, except when I try
> > to get new messages it logs into the server, finds the number of new
> > messages, then pops up an error message "Can't write file."

> I have to deal with this quite often. I suggest you run the following
> as ROOT and from your HOME directory.
>
> ------------ Cut here -----------
>
> cd /home
> for U in * ; do echo $U ; chown -R $U:$U $U ; done
>
> ------------ Cut here -----------
>
> I have this little routine stored as 'fixusers'
> in /usr/local/bin/fixusers
>
> I've used the ideas expressed elsewhere is this thread too and found
> that some files still haven't been changed so causing the same problem
> you're seeing where I still could not access certain files.
>
> The wee script above deals effectively with ALL files hidden or
> otherwise.

Thanks. It didn't work. I got "bash: syntax error near unexpected token
'chown'."

I think the problem is that you thought I would substitute something
for the *. I didn't. That's because I didn't know what to put in there.

Meantime I discovered File > Import Mbox File. Might that be what I am
supposed to do?