[sylpheed:31851] Re: Moving mail to new machine

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Oct 21 17:01:46 JST 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:34:35 +1300
John Rye <jrt746 at clear.net.nz> wrote:

> > > I have to deal with this quite often. I suggest you run the
> > > following as ROOT and from your HOME directory.
> > >
> > > ------------ Cut here -----------
> > >
> > > cd /home
> > > for U in * ; do echo $U ; chown -R $U:$U $U ; done
> > >
> > > ------------ Cut here -----------
> > >
> > > I have this little routine stored as 'fixusers'
> > > in /usr/local/bin/fixusers
> > >
> > > I've used the ideas expressed elsewhere is this thread too and
> > > found that some files still haven't been changed so causing the
> > > same problem you're seeing where I still could not access certain
> > > files.
> > >
> > > The wee script above deals effectively with ALL files hidden or
> > > otherwise.
> >
> > Thanks. It didn't work. I got "bash: syntax error near unexpected
> > token 'chown'."
>
> How did you get the command from the email to your terminal? By typing
> it?
>
> You should copy and paste it (2nd line only if you where already
> in /home) into a root terminal or copy and paste both lines into a
> file which you then make executable. Be careful here too, if the
> location of the newly created executable is NOT in roots' path then
> you will need to use the form' /wherethefileis/filename'
>
> That syntax error indicates to me that you could have typed a colon
> ( : ) rather than a a semicolon ( ; ) - some fonts could make the
> difference hard to see :-)
>

> > I think the problem is that you thought I would substitute something
> > for the *. I didn't. That's because I didn't know what to put in
> > there.
>
> No substitutions needed :-) the * means 'all' as I commented in my
> first mail

First, I can't copy and paste because I can only get mail using a
different computer. Nevertheless, this time I got satisfactory results.
That is, the command executed without error.

However, it did not help. I still cannot read or write to the
mailboxes. I don't think it has anything to do with permissions. I
think Sylpheed is looking for the mailboxes in the wrong folder. But I
can't find any setting that lets me indicate a location for the
mailboxes folder.