[sylpheed:31950] Re: Disable keyboard shortcuts?

Godwin Stewart gstewart at bonivet.net
Wed Dec 5 19:07:35 JST 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:04:05 -0800, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
wrote:

> For the umpteenth time I have lost an e-mail that I was going to send.
> I spent 30 minutes composing an involved e-mail, then suddenly, because
> of a typo, the whole thing disappeared.

The UI cannot be blamed for user errors.

What you're describing either requires confirmation or is recoverable
anyway. Closing an e-mail without sending it requires confirmation unless
it has already been (auto-)saved in the drafts folder (this is specific to
sylpheed). If all the text in your mail disappears then successive uses of
Ctrl-Z will step back through the changes made until you get your text
back (this is common to all GTK applications so you really should know it).

> I have a mouse. When I want to send the e-mail, or delete it, or
> whatever, I will use the mouse.

So do I have a mouse. However, some things are easier with the keyboard.
For example, just hitting Ctrl-Alt-S to sign a mail and then Ctrl-Enter to
send it instead of having to reach for the mouse...

Each unto his/her own, of course.

G. Stewart - gstewart at bonivet.net

Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  Who knows?  Who cares?