[sylpheed:31617] Re: rss-support & spam-filtering

Bob White bob at bob-white.com
Tue Aug 7 04:32:44 JST 2007

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 20:46:20 +0200
kazaam <kazaam at oleco.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I switched from thunderbird to sylpheed 2.3.1 and I'm really impressed. It is clean,fast,stable and has a lot of nice features. But I have two questions:
>
> 1.) Is there any rss-support in sylpheed (not claws!) ?
>
> 2.) I switched on spam-filtering in the settings and choosed bogofilter, which I had installed before. But nothing is filtered. Do I have to do something more?!? How can I check if my settings are okay?

Hi,

I can help with question 2.  First you need to classify some emails
using the "Junk" "Not Junk" buttons or in the Message menu.  Second,
Bogofilter learns as it goes.  When you get mail in your inbox and
classify it as junk using the button or menu, Bogofilter eventually
learns which ones are junk.  You do have to specifically mark some as
not junk to get started.  Not much seems to happen at first, then it
kicks in.

At a terminal, bogofilter -Q will give you the filter settings.  If you
have a -l on the bogofilter command line in Sylpheed, a message is sent
to the system log each time Bogofilter runs.  You can check there to
see what it's doing.

I used to get over 90% of the junk emails classified properly.  Once in
a while one or two good messages would be classified as junk so you do
need to scan the junk folder before deleting messages.  I changed my
operating system from Suse to Ubuntu about 3 months ago and lost my
Bogofilter file in the transition.  I'm still only up to about 60%
correct classification of junk but haven't seen any good messages
classified as junk.  I don't think it's improving as fast as it should,
but it is improving.

Bob W.