[sylpheed:31228] Re: I think I've got it.

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at highstream.net
Mon Apr 30 02:10:16 JST 2007

Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle at gmail.com> wrote:

>First, a question.  When I view a newsgroup, I sent the "View" option
>to "Unread."  But this setting does not persist between sessions.  It
>always goes back to "All."  Why doesn't this choice persist?
>
>Now, to my insight. When I select "Unread" in the view options, it
>seems that Sylpheed has to search through thousands of news posts to
>find the next unread post.  My experience -- the larger the bank of
>news articles, the slower Sylpheed is in finding the next unread
>message.
>
>Is there a way to delete the headers and have Sylpheed start with a
>blank database for each newsgroup?

Do you mean right-click, Mark, Unread?  It works here.

If you're saying that in newsgroups with large numbers of posts (100k
or much more) Sylpheed is slow, you're not the first to report it.
For example, those microsoft.public support groups with about 200k
messages bring my computer to a halt.  So I don't keep large groups like
that around any more, but to solve the problem when I do temporarily
subscribe I've set Edit Accounts > Receive for the newsgroup account to
download only 1000 messages.

Gene