[sylpheed:30021] Re: Filtering Problem

Gene Goldenfeld genegold at highstream.net
Tue Sep 12 23:53:59 ICT 2006

Gil Andre <andre.g at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>Hi Gene,
>
>On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:44:44 -0500 Gene Goldenfeld <genegold at highstream.net> wrote:
>> Does anyone else have a problem filtering messages with "Re:" in the
>> subject header?  I have only three filter items set up with that and
>> all are under the same general filter heading (e.g., under Outback, Re:
>> [outback], Re:[outback] and [outback] Re:).  Most emails end up in the
>> right place, but "Re:" messages, including even an Outback one,
>> sometimes end up in either in my Inbox or more likely Trash.
>
>Unless I am mistaken, a much better way to do this would to
>filter by [outback] and not by "Re:".
>
>Try a filter such as IF Subject CONTAINS [outback] MOVE TO Outback dir.
>
>Or: IF Any Header CONTAINS [outback] MOVE TO Outback dir.
>
>This is how I do things, and I rarely have any problems, with the 12+
>mailing lists I have subscribed to.

As I recall, I originally set it up that way because neither [Outback]
nor [outback] were doing the job.  Also, that would not explain why
the vast majority of incorrectly filtered messages, the non-Outback
ones with Re: in the Subject, end up in Trash. For example, a recent
one, "Re: FW: Member Promo offers - Swix," went there everytime although
no words in its Subject, To or Body Text are the focus of any other
filter, let alone the ones going to Trash.  Either I'm missing a piece
of a logical puzzle, or Sylpheed filtering sometimes has a problem with
Re: messages.

Gene

Gene