[sylpheed:30324] Re: junk filtering not automatic

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Tue Oct 31 22:47:58 JST 2006

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:22:07 +0100 (CET)
"Gerald Dachs" <gda at gmx.de> wrote:

> > Hmm., that's odd.  When I was working on IMAP filtering, there was a huge
> > demand.
>
> I couldn't live without IMAP filtering, but it should be done on the
> server, not on the client. Usually you have sieve for this job. At least
> in Courier
> and Cyrus.To site just one, you can read mail from any number of machi
>
> > However, I invite others to comment.  If everyone believes it's not a
> > desirable feature, then I won't waste time with it.
>
> Maybe you could spend your time for a gui in sylpheed to sieve, that would be
> very nice. Currently I have to use the avelsieve plugin in Squirrelmail to
> change my filter.
>
> Sorry if I misunderstood something

Well, the discussion was about spam filtering, not filtering in general, and handling spam filtering from the client side is much easier than handling a general filtering mechanism.

For more general filtering, I've done something similar to what (it sounds like) you have done, although I didn't involve squirrelmail or sieve.  To create the configuration I parse the filtering rules out of the persisted configuration in $HOME/.sylpheed-2.0.  So, there isn't an additional gui in this scheme.