[sylpheed:30300] Re: junk filtering not automatic

Bob White bob at bob-white.com
Tue Oct 31 11:50:17 JST 2006

Hi Seth,

The -u option came up in earlier discussions of using bobofilter on
this list.  It was suggested by Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez I believe.

This is from the bogofilter FAQ page:

<quote>
What does the '-u' (autoupdate) switch do?

The "-u" switch (autoupdate) is used to automatically expand the
wordlist. When this switch is used and bogofilter classifies a message
as Spam or Ham, the message's tokens are added to the wordlist with a
ham/spam tag (as appropriate).

As an example, suppose a new "Refinance now - best Mortgage rates"
message comes in. It will have some words that bogofilter has seen and
(probably) some new ones as well. Using '-u' the new words will be
added to the wordlist so that bogofilter can better recognize the next,
related message.

If/when you use to use '-u', you need to be on the lookout for
classification errors and retrain bogofilter with any messages that
have been classified incorrectly. An incorrectly classified message
that is auto-updated _may_ cause bogofilter to make additional
classification errors in the future. This is the same problem as when
you (the sys admin) incorrectly register a ham message as spam (or vice
versa).
</quote>

This implies to me that one should use the -N -s -I  and -S -n -I
options for re-classifying instead of just -s -I and -n -I if -u -I is
used for classifying.  (It actually says that in the MAN pages.)

I noticed in your text you are using -l (lower case L) for the
bogofilter option.  The option should be -I (upper case i)

All of these are options for bogofilter and don't require recompiling.
They are just different from the default options supplied by Sylpheed.

Bob W.

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:45:01 -0500
Seth Kurtzberg <seth at cql.com> wrote:

> While investigating this problem, I also noticed that bogofilter is being run with the -u flag.
>
> Is it possible to remove the -u from the bogofilter command, without modifying the source and recompiling?  I do not find the -u in the filter command ("Configuration", "Common preferences", "Junk mail" tab, "Classifying command" is set to "bogofilter
-l").  Is there more than one place to set the classifying command?
 ^
 This should be an upper case i