[sylpheed:30432] Re: Filter all messages from China

Gil Andre andre.g at wanadoo.fr
Wed Nov 22 05:51:40 JST 2006

Hi!

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 00:20:01 -0800 John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> I don't speak Chinese. I don't know anyone in China. How can I filter
> all messages that come from a Chinese address? Or better yet, how can I
> filter all messages with Chinese characters in the subject field? And
> while I'm at it, how about Indonesia, Singapore, and a number of other
> places?

I don't know if this works for chinese, but I have used the
following rule, and it seems to filter asian characters and
asian spam pretty well:

Search message subject and body for either "$B" or "$G".
If a message is found, move it to the Trash immediately.
You can also try to filter all domains ("From") that
end with ".cn".

Trust me, it works. I think that $B and $G are actually
escape characters (UTF-8 maybe?) for a lot of asian
languages. Since these combinations of characters are
almost never used with western languages, the filtering
works perfectly. Think about it this way: when was the
last time you received a valid message with $B in its
subject field? Of course, this assumes that you are using
a westernized version of Sylpheed, and I strongly doubt it
would work with the Japanese version, for instance...

As an aside, I have about 55 rules configured in my filter
list, and they catch 99.9% of all the spam I ever receive.
Once you understand the filtering function of Sylpheed, it's
fast and easy to get rid of spam...

Hope this helps!

--
  __  Gil ANDRE				  gil [at] panix   [dot] com
 (oO) 				andre [dot] g [at] wanadoo [dot] fr