[sylpheed:37097] Re: Gmail question

Javier sylfiger at gmx.com
Sun Mar 27 06:36:08 JST 2022

On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 09:16:37 -0500
"c. marlow" <claws at cwm030.com> wrote:

> I think I have figured it out:
>
> "TRASH" that is not nested is the [IMAP]/TRASH label
>
> [GMAIL]/TRASH is the true trash can.
>

> How I figured it out:
>
> I tapped delete on an email and the email was moved to "TRASH"
>
> I opened webmail and the email in question was not in " TRASH" on
> webmail, but instead was under [IMAP]/TRASH label.
>

> Chris

HI,

I thought you already knew that Gmail hasn't a... "standard" folder
structure and Gmail/Trash was the Gmail web interface Trash and
Imap/Trash is a folder that they call it Imap/Trash to differentiate
it.

When I was asking about the icon, I was asking about your Sylpheed
tree folder interface. The folder that has the trash bin icon is the
actual trash folder... for Sylpheed, so when you delete something
from Sylpheed, it goes to that folder.

Anyway, about getting with the times, you are not getting with the
times by using some IMAP mail client (despite I never used it, I
think Claws supports IMAP as well; and Sylpheed has the same OAuth
problems).

If becomes true that enable 2 steps verification and creating an app
password is enough for a mail client to work, you could continue
using you POP mail client if you prefer it, are more used or just
makes your workflow better.

IMAP has the benefit that you control the folders on server (even
with Gmail weird folder structure), and not only the inbox folder as
happens with a POP mail client.

Have that in mind.

You are not forced to use IMAP (I still use POP, depending of I need
on that moment). IMAP has been always desired over decades until
finally all mail services (free) started to offer it a few years ago.

Regards.