[sylpheed:37123] Yahoo/AOL IMAP FETCH response Sylpheed parsing

Javier sylfiger at gmx.com
Wed Jun 8 09:26:28 JST 2022

Hi,

I feared this long ago when one of the mail boxes I manage started to
get a missing folder error ("Bulk Mail" becoming "Bulk"). To me, clear
symptom that they were changing something. Firstly it was
intermitent. Then the change was permanent.

First solution, get the new IMAP server folderlist. Simply right?

But that wasn't the problem. The problem is that after that server
update Sylpheed doesn't parse correctly the FETCH response, or that
is what it seems, and the direct consequence is that the mail listing
for a folder is just empty.

It doesn't matter if Sylpheed has a working folder IMAP cache file,
it just shows nothing when you click on it... unless you go offline,
that then reads the IMAP cache.

This now happens on all Yahoo/AOL accounts I manage, so I guess it
became worldwide.

What I have seen with WireShark is that other mail servers FETCH
response is just a connection, or a couple, with the bulk of mails,
but Yahoo/AOL server now makes a "million" of back and forth messages
with the server, depending on the number of messages on server.

The worst is that to "fix", temporarily only, the mail view list, you
have to update the folder view, but that means that, if you don't
save mails locally, and only a folder IMAP cache, all mails will
download, yeah, that "million" of mail will be downloaded, at least
headers.

But hey, don't change the folder later, or you will have to update
the folder list again..., and re-download the list again, or go
offline to see the cached mail list.

Who is the culprit? Sylpheed? Yahoo/AOL?

I don't know, but I just have seen that, despite their response is
"IMAP4rev1" and that last year was approved
"IMAP4rev2" (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9051), the
net has a fever to quick adopt everything... may be culprit?, I don't
know if changes are enough, I just think all is crazy now and or you
are in, or you are out, and whatever is happening preventing Sylpheed
to work is not good for us :(

Regards.

P.S.: Note that even if I posted this with Sylpheed 3.4.3, I tested
with the lastest 3.7b1185.