[sylpheed:37118] Re: Gmail accounts no longer accessible from Sylpheed?

Anton Shepelev anton.txt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 19:54:25 JST 2022

Jose Luis:
   You say we have to activate two-step verification. The
   first verification step I understand is the app password.
   I wonder what the second step would be.

Anton Shepelev:
   Probably some code by SMS...But I don't know and don't
   care.  With app passwords, there will be no second step,
   anyway...

Steve O'Hara-Smith:
   Two step verification (password and SMS usually) has to
   be activated on the gmail account before you are allowed
   to issue app passwords on the account. The app passwords
   can then be used by apps that can't (or won't) do oauth2
   like sylpheed without any extra authentication.

Yes, Steve is correct.  The app password is, in fact, an
*alternative* to two-step verificaion, but in order to
activate it you have to enable two-step verification first.
Confusing!