[sylpheed:36902] Re: Gmail throttling?

Anton Shepelev anton.txt at gmail.com
Fri May 15 17:45:57 JST 2020

Aderoy to Anton Shepelev:

> > sylpheed.exe --configdir \\SRV3\Shepelev_AV\WorkPC\SHARE\MAIL\
>
> I really do not think this is not a bug with Sylpheed have been
> using for a few years even with Gmail free account not issue.

I, too, have used Sylpheed with my Gmail for years and years
with nary an issue.

> On this machine (MBP) using v3.4.1 with Gmail with a mailstore of
> 14550 and local mailstore of little over 325000 do not experience
> the downloading of all google's mail. Not including local
> mailstore I have 6 configured for normal use.

Thank you for the report. I fear the problem is not the number of
messages in itself but rather my attempt to run sylpheed with the
remote mirror of my mailbox. Since the mirror is stored on a
Windows share at my work, the options of demonstrating the behavior
are rather limited. The best I can do is to host a TeamViewer
session :-( Otherwise, all I can only follow someone's
instructions and report the results... I realise, however, that
this kind of assistance is not something one is entitled to expect
-- "too much monkey busieness", so to say, and that is very true.

> I do not like Google Mail ->

Nor do I, since several years ago, when it started to become
increasingly paranoid, what with considering anything that uses the
standard IMAP and POP authentification "a less secure app" and
threatening to block these programs (Sylpheed is not an "app"):

   https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
              (Gmail help: Less secure apps)

> GMX has free IMAP/POP accounts (if you use web based e-mail too
> many ads), same as with Vivaldi. Fastmail is a good service
> (paid).

Thanks for the recommendations. I don't care a carrot for the
web-interface, so I will certainly look into these services. I am
not, however, psychologially ready to use a paid e-mail service. Do
you know a way to migrate one mailbox to another, preferably over
IMAP?

/\  http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]